Edwardsville Virtual Shoebox Parade
Residential/Community Floats: No Fee
Commercial Business Floats: $35 to enter and the entry fee
goes directly towards float prizes
Submission form and float due by 9 AM Monday, August 31st.
Step 1 - Create:
- Grab a "shoe box" or something similarly inspiring - Start with a base like a box from a recent online order delivery, an old shoe box, a crate, a tub, or a container of choice. It doesn't have to roll. It just needs to be able to be “pulled” by string for the actual parade.
- Find your materials - Entries can be made from things you already have at home. You could use flowers from your yard, craft supplies, construction paper, dolls/action figures, paper mache’, clay, paint, markers, sequins, seeds, or anything else you can find to bring your float to life!
- Pick a theme and start building - Floats can showcase an original design, recreate (or improve upon) a historical parade float, or tell a story.
- Commercial Float
- Family Float
- Nonprofit Organization
- Education Organization – School Club or Group
- Best Team Teams
- Special Theme: Storybooks on Parade
- Trophy Winner Fan Favorite - Following the virtual parade, viewers can vote for their favorite float in the Facebook photo gallery. The photo with the most likes will be recognized as the Trophy Winner Fan Favorite. The winner of the Fan Favorite award will receive a grand prize award with actual dollar amount announced as commercial entries are received.
Step 2 - Enter:
- Show us your progress - document the steps you take as you build your Edwardsville Parks and Recreation Shoebox Parade float. Are you making marching band uniforms for your action figures - show us how! Are you making a butterfly float that flaps its wings - let us see how it works! Post progress pictures, tips and tricks, fun teases of your theme, or even bloopers on your social media and tag us @EdwardsvilleParksandRec #EdwardsvilleShoeboxParade or email to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured on the Edwardsville Parks and Recreation social media prior to parade day.
- Submit your entry - fill out the registration form below and drop off your float and entry form at either of our entry locations.
- Edwardsville City Hall – 118 Hillsboro Ave, Edwardsville
HOURS - 8 AM and 5 PM Monday through Friday.
- Edwardsville Public Library – 112 South Kansas Street, Edwardsville
Mon-Thu: 9 AM to 9 PM Sat: 9 AM to 5 PM
Fri: 9 AM to 6 PM Sun: 12 PM to 5 PM
Step 3 – Watch!
- Tell your friends and family to watch the parade and see your float featured in the Edwardsville Parks and Recreation Shoebox Parade on Facebook at 9am on Saturday, September 5, 2020.
- Share your participation - All participants will receive a digital certificate acknowledging their participation in the first ever Edwardsville Parks and Recreation Shoebox Parade!
- Shoebox Parade category winners will receive a commemorative certificate and prizes. Prize will be decided by dividing the total amount contributed with the fees from commercial floats entered. The category prizes will be local gift cards purchased with those fees.
Step 4 – Float Return
- If you would like your float returned, please be prepared to pick up your float at City Hall the week of Tuesday, September 8 to Friday, September 11, 2020.
Rules & Regulations
- Community (non-commercial) parade entries are FREE to enter. Commercial parade entries to promote a business cost $35 each. Proceeds of the shoebox parade will go straight into the prize fund. Prize funds will be divided equally.
- Your float can be made from a traditional cardboard shoebox or similar structure (be creative). Only restriction is that it should be no larger than 9" x 13" and limited only by your imagination.
- Decorations on the box should not exceed 15" tall.
- Judging criteria is based on the theme, originality, creativity and construction of your float.
- The Special Theme – The special theme can be entered and won by any of the categories of entrants. For example, you can be a non-profit creating a float for the theme which will open that theme up for you to win in as well as the Non-Profit category.
- Entries and themes must be appropriate for a family audience. Entries should contain no political statement, slogan or reference. Use of any political or social material is not permitted.
- All submissions must be received by 9 AM on Monday, August 31, 2020.
- Registration for the Edwardsville Shoebox Parade and/or tagging @EdwardsvilleParksandRec #EdwardsvilleShoeboxParade with related photos or videos on social media grants Edwardsville Parks and Recreation permission to use your images and footage on any platform.
- Edwardsville Parks and Recreation reserves the right to exclude any submissions that do not meet our guidelines or that feature content not aligned with our mission.
- Parade category winners other than the Fan Favorite will be chosen from eligible entries and decided at the sole discretion of the City of Edwardsville staff. Winners will be announced during the parade and will receive prize notifications via email. Any physical awards must be picked up at City of Edwardsville City Hall by Wednesday, September 16, 2020. All prizes not picked up will be donated to Glen Ed Food Pantry.
WHAT IS A SHOEBOX PARADE? Check out our favorite virtual example at www.youtube.com/watch?v=cD0F2reTkQw