- Your Government
- Public Works
- Building Permits and Adopted Codes
Building Permits and Adopted Codes
Ordinances, Codes & Regulations
City Code of Ordinances
On July 7, 2022, City Council approved updating the following building codes. The updated International Codes will be in effect starting January 1, 2023. A copy of the Ordinances are available for your reference by clicking on the links below. For questions regarding any code updates you may contact the Public Works Office to speak to a Building Inspector at 618-692-7535 or email questions to email@example.com .
- 2021 International Building Code (effective 1/1/2023)
- 2020 National Electrical Code with amendments (effective 7/7/2022)
- Illinois State Plumbing Code
- 2021 International Property Maintenance Code (effective 1/1/2023)
- 2021 International Mechanical Code (effective 1/1/2023)
- 2021 International Residential Code with amendments (effective 1/1/2023)
- Illinois Energy Conservation Code
- International Existing Building Code
- International Fuel Gas Code
- International Fire Code with amendments (effective 1/1/2023)
- Life Safety Code
- Illinois Accessibility Code
There are many occasions for which you need to obtain a building permit. Generally, you need a building permit anytime you are remodeling existing buildings (commercial or residential) and/or constructing new buildings. Particularly when your remodeling involves additions, the relocation of walls, the installation of plumbing fixtures, and/or the upgrading of electrical wiring or lighting systems. The permit packet contains detailed information regarding Code requirements, plan review, and inspection scheduling. Permit packets can be obtained at our Public Works Department located at 200 East Park Street.
New Residential Construction Permit Process
Property located within the City Historic District or a landmark property requires approval for any exterior work. To determine if your project requires review by the Historic Preservation Commission, please contact our office at 618-692-7535 or email HPC@cityofedwardsville.com . The following link will allow you to view Historic Preservation Forms and Guidelines as well as a list of locations of Historic Districts.
Building Inspections & Code Enforcement
The City adopted building codes, property maintenance codes, and other standards for building and development in order to protect the public safety, the welfare of the community, and to sustain long-term investment in the community by property owners and businesses. It is through the enforcement of these codes and standards that we ensure quality development and construction.
Business Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday, except City observed Holidays.
Inspection Scheduling: Same day inspections are available by calling our office at 618-692-7535 or 618-692-7537 before 9:30 a.m. Monday through Friday.
Residential Permit Application
Individual Permit Forms & Handouts:
- Permit Application Form
- No Work Notice - Pre-Permit Site Inspection and Required Erosion Control
- Residential Building Permit Policy
- Site, Drainage, and Erosion Control Plan
- Cross Connection Survey (online form) or Cross Connection Survey (printable form)
- Water Service Installation Form - Complete prior to meter installation
Common Building Permit Questions
Public Works Required Permit Applications, Forms and Guidelines