Citizenship • Responsibility • Knowledge
Every summer, the Edwardsville Police Department hosts its Youth Academy, a unique program developed to provide boys and girls, ages 12 through 16, with a positive summer experience that is fun, challenging and informative. The Youth Academy was founded on the principles of citizenship, responsibility and knowledge. The primary focus of the program is to bridge the gaps between law enforcement and youth while exposing them to activities that provide physical fitness, confidence building, team building and the development of leadership skills. Summer academy activities often include:
- Citizenship Class
- Community Service Project
- CPR – First Aid
- Eagle Crest High Challenge Course
- Eagle Crest Team Challenge Course
- Land Navigation Skills
- Leadership Class
- Multi-Mile Hike
- Presidential Fitness Testing
- Problem Solving
- Swimming at Raging Rivers Water Park
- Ultimate Challenge
- Physical Fitness
- Classroom Instruction
The Youth Academy is an intense two-week leadership program that requires daily attendance. The Youth Academy meets Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. at St. Mary’s School gymnasium, located at 1802 Madison Avenue in Edwardsville. Each academy summer session concludes with a graduation/awards banquet.
Applications become available each spring and are accepted on a first come, first serve basis. Priority is given to students attending Edwardsville public or parochial schools. The applicant's prior conduct will be taken into consideration; and space is limited to 25 participants. Each participant should anticipate bringing a sack lunch and a drink each day. There is a non-refundable registration fee of $75.
Check HERE in spring 2024 for next summer's application!
2023 Youth Academy
Dates: June 5-16, 2023
Time: 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Location: St. Mary's School, 1802 Madison Avenue
Registration fee: $75 (non-refundable)
(We are no longer taking applications for the 2023 Youth Academy)
- Youth Academy Coordinator & School Resource Officer Coordinator Sgt. Matt Evers; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Edwardsville High School School Resource Officer Rick Thompson; email@example.com
- Edwardsville High School School Resource Officer John Arendell; firstname.lastname@example.org @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>
- Liberty Middle School School Resource Officer Joy Davis; email@example.com
- Edwardsville Police D.A.R.E. Officer Ryan Grimes; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Edwardsville Police D.A.R.E. Officer Jarrod Sprinkle; email@example.com @(Model.BulletStyle == CivicPlus.Entities.Modules.Layout.Enums.BulletStyle.Decimal ? "ol" : "ul")>